How to treat sprained ankle? We all have sprained our ankle at least ones, and we all know how much it hearts and how long it takes to heal. Everyone should know how to treat sprained ankle. A sprained ankle injury can make your ankle swelling for up to two weeks and make you unable to walk for a week. A want to share with you a recipe I learned from my grandma, which I always use to get the swelling under control and make the recovery process faster and easier.
Always consult your doctor first, and get X-ray done if needed. Differentiating between a sprained ankle and an ankle fracture can be difficult, and sometimes an x-ray is needed.
An ankle sprain normally occurs following sudden twisting or sideways movements of the ankle due to workout, running or just walking. When we sprain our ankle, one or more ligaments in our ankle joint is injured. The first thing you should do after such an injury is to apply ice and take ibuprofen. That will help with the pain and the swelling. My grandma always suggests R.I.G’s C.E. (Rest, Ice, Grandma’s Compression and Elevation) treatment for the next few days and that have always been working for me.
Grandma’s recipe for sprained ankle – R.I.G’s C.E.:
- Rest. Try to avoid walking with the injured leg for at least 2-5 days
- Ice. Apply ice every two hours for no more than 20 minutes at a time. When icing injuries, never apply ice directly to the skin. Cold provides pain relief and also limits swelling by reducing blood flow to the injured area.
- My grandma likes to make a special compress, that helps limit and reduce swelling, which may delay healing. You will need – Elastic Bandage, Medical Tape, Kitchen Hammer, Onion, Salt, Plastic bag.
- Put one onion in the fridge. Make sure the onion is cold before you take it out of the fridge.
- Slice the onion on half, and put half of it in a plastic bag.Hit it with the kitchen hammer a few times so the onion breaks into a little pieces and releases his juice.
- Put a good amount of salt at those onion pieces, and apply them to the swelling ankle.
- Wrap the ankle and the onion together with the elastic bandage, and tape the Elastic Bandage on place.
You will need to replace the compress with new when – the elastic bandage is all wet, or the compress is hot.
- Elevate your ankle sprain higher than your waist as often as possible. Put pillows under your leg when laying on the bed. That will reduce the pain and swelling.
Once you have the swelling of the ankle under control
you can start exercising the sprained ankle. Always wear ankle brace for the first month and especially when playing sports. I recommend: Zamst Ankle Brace Support Stabilizer: A2-DX Mens & Womens Sports Brace for Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball, Football & Baseball. Once you feel your ankle stronger you can go to something lighter and more comfortable like: Copper Compression Recovery Foot Sleeves / Plantar Fasciitis Support Socks – GUARANTEED To Speed Up Recovery & Provide Relief Of Heel Spurs, Arch Pain, Foot Swelling & Ankle Injuries
Full recover in some severe cases may take up to 3 months but following my Grandma’s sprained ankle treatment will reduce the time, pain and inconvenience that such an injury can cause.
This is a sure thing. I fell on ice one year went flying up in the air and landed on my left side smashing my shoulder and ankle onto the pavement. Went home and cut up onion and salted and wrapped my shoulder up and ankle and Fell asleep with the wrap and when I woke 2 hours later. The smell was something else but such relief. From the fall to the ride home I was in so much pain and swelling of my ankle unreal. Huge relief.
My son was hit n run when he was 5 by an a-hole in a motorbike ( fortunately not serious) that decided he wanted to see if he could make it and pass just before us instead of waiting the light ( he was a teen). We took him and the baby to my in-law’s to hand her the baby before heading to the hospital. He had a huge bump in his head and a swolen thigh. Granny wrapped him up with crushed onion. By the time we were in E.R. swelling had gone down to half it’s size. Fortunately nothing fractured and no concussion just the swealing and the bruises along with the bump. She also used it later in a stairs accident she had with a head internal bleeding, a broken nose and arm (though she didn’t put onion in the nose). Doc in E.R. asked her what did she put in her head, swealing was not as expected in head. He congratulated her, said you gained at least two days of healing with this.
I am ruhmitiod patient suffering two years .uam getting ankle pain two sides,seekling how to get relife.sholder pain also.pls send me.is there any improment about onoin.
I sprained my enkle its paining a lot why should l do
Follow my instructions and you should be up and running in no time.